Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nor Cal Road Hazard

My good pal Joey Jelf sent this to me.

"Some days you get the bear, other days the bear gets you"

These were taken on my way back from The Redwoods Run in Northern California on Father's day. This was a first for me. I've never seen anyone hit a bear on a motorcycle. This guy was doing about 65 when he rounded this long sweeper. A group before him had all managed to pass without an issue. This guy chose a path that ended up being exactly where the bear decided to depart the area. It appeared that he nailed the bear in the head as he stayed on and with the bike for the approx 1/8 mile slide into the oncoming lanes and into this ditch. He had an apparent broken foot and some minor road rash and some sore ribs but one lucky SOB. He got one of the canines as a souvenir. I kept wondering is we were sure the bear wasn't just knocked out during the picture session, lol. A truly beautiful animal, it was a shame it had to go this way but that's life. I'm sure some lucky fish and game guy got the bear and will share it on the 4th of July.
Joey

He almost couldn't bear it. sorry

My good friend Joey Jelf with the victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment