Saturday, March 14, 2009

History of the Chopper - Benny Hardy Segment

Great week of real history. Here in LA there is a show at CAAM called Black Chrome http://www.caamuseum.org/. The Vintagent http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/ did a great write about Benny Hardy. I had the honor of meeting Sugar Bear a couple time and at the Stay Gold show in Sturgis last year and we talked for some time about history. I felt like I was getting schooled, and I was. As a kid I had heard rumblings of "this black guy" built those Easyrider bikes but never really knew the details till just a few years ago. Being in to bikes and working in Hollyweird I've met a few people that have told me the real story. I even had a run in with Mr. Hopper, he lives in Venice. But no one was as accurate as Sugar Bear. This is the first time I've seen this docu by JJ, but this is a fantastic segment.

Learn your history. Thank god for Benny, and Sugar!

1 comment:

  1. My pops used to run the streets pretty heavy back in the day. He used to tell me all sorts of stories. This is one of them. For the last 25 years or so everytime I shared this one people looked at me crazy. It was good to see some one finally set it straight. That whole show is good. Puts some names out there majority of cats never heard of.

    ReplyDelete