Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Drummers: Tony Williams

Like a lot of drummers I was turned on to, my discovery of them came from the music first. I would listen to everything, then seek out the players. Of course Buddy Rich, the god of all drummers, was the launching pad for my fascination with jazz. At a really young age I would listen to my Dad's 78 records and then research the players and groups. I remember writing a paper for class on Buddy Rich.
Once the "WOW" factor is tempered by education on what these cat's were doing, a whole world opened up. The art form, the raw emotion, artists pushing themselves to the edges of expression via their technical abilities. Of course, the masters found that sweet spot, that indescribable place where all things merge and it all just happens. Pure.
Man o man, did Miles Davis and a hand full of other players at that time, have that pure thing going. When I heard Tony Williams on those early records it was like sitting on the beach watching the waves crash in. There is this beautiful consistancy, then every once in a while a dynamic, unstoppable  force of energy.
I followed Willams for years and years. I am partial to his early stuff, but he pushed himself muscically unlike any one else. A close friend of mine who was a sound engineer for Ministry years ago, use to score these super rare recodings of avante guard music. He gave me several recodings of Tony Williams. It is the strangest music I have ever heard. Disonent, angry, sad, pure improv. Some how through the wall of austisible noise, you hear fluries of genious.
I miss Tony.

This clip just gives me goose bumps. Pure as it gets. Early Tony Williams, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock. Do that google and youtube thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment